Collaborative learning techniques: a handbook for college faculty
Part of the The Jossey-Bass higher and adult education series series
Collaborative Learning Techniques is the bestseller that college and university faculty around the world have used to help them make the most of small group learning.
A mountain of evidence shows that students who learn in small groups together exhibit higher academic achievement, motivation, and satisfaction than those who don't. Collaborative learning puts into practice the major conclusion from learning theory: that students must be actively engaged in building their own minds. In this book, the authors synthesize the relevant research and theory to support thirty-five collaborative learning activities for use in both traditional and online classrooms.
This second edition reflects the changed world of higher education. New technologies have opened up endless possibilities for college teaching, but it's not always easy to use these technologies effectively. Updated to address the challenges of today's new teaching environments, including online, "flipped," and large lectures, Collaborative Learning Techniques is a wonderful reference for educators who want to make the most of any course environment. This revised and expanded edition includes:
- Additional techniques, with an all-new chapter on using games to provide exciting, current, technologically-sophisticated curricula
- A section on effective online implementation for each of the thirty-five techniques
- Significantly expanded pedagogical rationale and updates on the latest research showing how and why collaborative learning works
- Examples for implementing collaborative learning techniques in a variety of learning environments, including large lecture classes and "flipped" classes
- Expanded guidance on how to solve common problems associated with group work
The authors guide instructors through all aspects of group work, providing a solid grounding in what to do, how to do it, and why it is important for student learning. The detailed procedures in Collaborative Learning Techniques will help teachers make sure group activities go smoothly, no matter the size or delivery method of their classes. With practical advice on how to form student groups, assign roles, build team spirit, address unexpected problems, and evaluate and grade student participation, this new edition of the international classic makes incorporating effective group work easy.