This textbook provides a wide-ranging overview of everything you will need to know to prepare you for initial teacher training and your early career in the primary classroom.
Covering practical issues including planning, assessment and classroom organisation, and thought-provoking topics such as reflecting on your own teaching practice and developing critical thinking skills, this textbook gives you a pragmatic and insightful understanding of teaching in primary schools.
This third edition has been comprehensively revised to include new chapters on:
- Personal, social, health and economic education (PSHE)
- Safeguarding and your responsibilities
- Teaching EAL learners
- Behaviour management and encouraging behaviour for learning
- Inclusion and special educational needs, including the 2015 SEND Code of Practice
- Critical perspectives on fundamental British values
- Moving on to Master's level study
This is essential reading for all students on primary initial teacher education courses including university-based (PGCE, BEd, BA with QTS), and schools-based (School Direct, SCITT, Teach First) routes into teaching.